Sunday, July 16, 2017

Lake Margery - El Dorado County, California

Visited on 7/2/2017 – Jeff and I took the dogs in the Jeep with the top off on an all-day hike to the Echo Lakes area and into the Desolation Wilderness to visit several lakes that day.  I stumbled upon Lake Margery by accident by hiking the area between Echo Peak and Lake Aloha.  Lake Margery is a lake located 10 miles southwest of Lake Tahoe at elevation 8,200 feet above sea level.  Lake Margery is a smaller oblong lake that was completed iced over with lots of snow.  It is a small, picturesque lake in the beautiful lake scenery of Desolation Wilderness south of Lake Tahoe. This remote lake is surrounded by marshy meadows, granite rocks, conifers and dead tree trunks. It was a picture perfect beautiful summer day, not a cloud in the sky and a high of 81 degrees.  I was amazed later when I realized I hiked over 10 miles with an elevation gain of over 1,200 feet that day.  I got a little lost in Desolation Wilderness on my backwoods hike and actually a little scared I might not find my way out with all the snow that was still on the ground in early July because of the tremendous amount of snow we received this year.  I was reminded by Jeff and my friends that I should have been more prepared for such a strenuous hike and packed more water and maybe a sweatshirt.  Lesson learned....don't do that again, but beautiful small lake and a very challenging hike.


No comments:

Post a Comment